- US Postdocs Grapple with Salary Changes The Scientist, Karen Zusi, December 16, 2016.
- Jessica Polka: On How Young Scientists Can Shape the Future of Research Science Soapbox, December 1, 2016.
- Marnie Gelbart: On Personal Genetics and Building Bridges of Trust Science Soapbox, November 17, 2016.
- Gary McDowell: On Reforming the STEM Training Pipeline Science Soapbox, November 11, 2016.
- Agents of Change Nature, Veronica Gewin, October 26, 2016.
- Adam Fagen: On Early Careers and Opportune Moments Science Soapbox, October 19, 2016.
- NIH sets new postdoc stipend levels Science Careers Magazine, Maggie Kuo, August 9, 2016.
- So Many Research Scientists, So Few Openings as Professors New York Times, Gina Kolata, July 14, 2016.
- Grassroots Future of Research group makes it official Science Careers Magazine, Beryl Lieff Benderly, May 4, 2016.
- Speaking Up For Science Trends In Immunology, Connie Lee, April 2016.
- Biomedical research workforce summit makes strides in implementing change for postdocs Nature Biotechnology, Viviane Callier, April 7 2016.
- Steering the biomedical workforce away from the iceberg Genes to Genomes, Genetics Society of America, Sarah Bay, March 28, 2016.
- Summit proposes steps toward biomedical workforce sustainability Science Careers Magazine, Beryl Lieff Benderly, February 11, 2016.
- People of the Year: Future of Research’s postdoc activists Science Careers Magazine, Beryl Lieff Benderly, December 22, 2015.
- How to build a better PhD Nature, Julie Gould, December 2, 2015.
- The postdoc series: The podcast NatureJobs Podcast, March 26 2015.
- The postdoc series: The plight of the postdoc NatureJobs, March 16 2015.
- The Future of Science Harvard Medical School Podcast, March 16 2015.
- A Glut Of Ph.Ds Means Long Odds Of Getting Jobs NPR, Brenda Iasevoli, February 27 2015.
- STEM postdoc researchers are highly trained, but for what? The Conversation, Gary McDowell, December 09 2014.
- Voices of a generation: young scientists must be seen and heard. The Conversation, David Riglar and Douglas Hilton, December 08 2014.
- Harsh reality Nature 516, 7529, Editorial, December 03 2014.
- What do young scientists want? Science Careers Magazine, Beryl Lieff Benderly, December 01 2014.
- Postdocs Speak Up. Science Careers Magazine, Beryl Lieff Benderly, November 05 2014.
- Life After Your Ph.D.: An Interview With ‘Future of Research’ Co-Founder Dr. Kristin Krukenberg. Beta Sandwich podcast, November 02 2014.
- Postdocs in limbo? Expand your options. The Boston Globe, Sheril Kirshenbaum, October 10 2014.
- Let’s change the system for postdocs. The Boston Globe, Yuly Fuentes-Medel, October 10 2014.
- Research community weighs in on the postdoc position. The Boston Globe, Carolyn Y Johnson, October 8 2014
- Glut of postdoc researchers stirs quiet crisis in science. The Boston Globe, Carolyn Y Johnson, October 5 2014.
- Preparing for the 21st Century Biomedical Research Job Market: Using Census Data to Inform Policy and Career Decision-Making Self-Journal of Science (Preprint), 2016. Misty L Heggeness, Kearney TW Gunsalus, Jose Pacas and Gary S McDowell.
- Monitoring the compliance of the academic enterprise with the Fair Labor Standards Act F1000Research, 2016. Adriana Bankston and Gary S McDowell.
- Future of Research and the Fair Labor Standards Act (slides) F1000Research, 2016, Gary S McDowell.
- 1st NYU PoIntS : an initiative to connect postdocs in a multi-campus, metropolitan university F1000Research, 2016. Yelena Bernadskaya and Rodoniki Athanasiadou.
- Postdoctoral advocacy in action: lessons from the Future of Research Chicago Symposium F1000Research, 2016. Kyle Dolan, Rianne Ellenbroek, Erin Heckler and Nancy Schwartz.
- Toward a sustainable biomedical research enterprise: Diversity and inclusion F1000Research, 2016. Christopher L. Pickett.
- Revitalizing biomedical research: recommendations from the Future of Research Chicago Symposium F1000Research, 2016. Kyle T. Dolan, Joseph F. Pierre and Erin J. Heckler
- Junior scientist advocacy: the Future of Research (FoR) F1000Research, 2016. Gary S. McDowell.
- The fool’s gold of Ph.D. employment data Science, 2016. Gary S. McDowell.
- Future of Research Response to NIGMS Request for Information (RFI): Strategies for Modernizing Biomedical Graduate Education (NOT-GM-16-109) The Winnower, 2016. Future of Research Board of Directors, Gary S. McDowell.
- Junior researchers: Fewer papers would scotch early careers Nature, 2016. Gary S. McDowell and Jessica K. Polka.
- Junior biomedical scientists and preprints F1000Research, 2016. Gary S. McDowell.
- Making the scientific system more open and transparent The Winnower, 2015. Gary S. McDowell.
- Shaping the Future of Research iBiology, 2015. Kristin A Krukenberg, Sarah A. Mazzilli, Gary S. McDowell and Jessica K. Polka.
- Fellowships are the Future Nature, 2015. Viviane Callier and Jessica K. Polka.
- Why not have a life? Science, 2015. Gary S. McDowell.
- Future of Research – How Can We Improve Career Awareness and Preparedness? A workshop at the NatureJobs Career Expo Boston 2015 The Winnower, 2015. Patricia R. Goodwin, Kearney T. W. Gunsalus, Erica M. Walsh and Gary S. McDowell
- A Response to the NIH RFI “Sustaining the Biomedical Workforce and a Potential Emeritus Award for Senior Researchers” The Winnower, 2015. Gary S. McDowell.
- A response to NIH request for information on optimizing funding policies and other strategies to improve the impact and sustainability of biomedical research. The Winnower, 2015. Vaibhav P. Pai.
- Response to NIH RFI “Optimizing Funding Policies and Other Strategies” The Winnower, 2015. Jessica K. Polka.
- A Response to the NIH RFI “Optimizing Funding Policies and Other Strategies” The Winnower, 2015. Gary S. McDowell.
- A call for transparency in tracking student and postdoc career outcomes Molecular Biology of the Cell, 2015. Jessica K. Polka, Kristin A. Krukenberg, Gary S. McDowell.
- Advice for PhD Students: Tips From Professors, Startup Founders, and Industry Professionals The Winnower, 2015. Nick Mordwinkin, Joshua Nicholson, Gary S. McDowell, and Llewellyn Cox
- A Call for the Voices of Early Career Researchers The Winnower, 2015. Jessica K. Polka, Gary S. McDowell.
- Faculty Resistance to Reform: Challenges to changing postdoc benefits at University of Maryland The Winnower, 2015. Gary S. McDowell.
- Shaping the Future of Research: a perspective from junior scientists. F1000Research, 2014. Gary S. McDowell, Kearney T. W. Gunsalus, Drew C. MacKellar, Sarah A. Mazzilli, Vaibhav P. Pai, Patricia R. Goodwin, Erica M. Walsh, Avi Robinson-Mosher, Thomas A. Bowman, James Kraemer, Marcella L. Erb, Eldi Schoenfeld, Leila Shokri, Jonathan D. Jackson, Ayesha Islam, Matthew D. Mattozzi, Kristin A. Krukenberg, Jessica K. Polka
- Making science a desirable career Science, 2014. Jessica K. Polka, Kristin A. Krukenberg.
- An open letter to AAAS journal “Science”: Postdocs need to address “The Future of Research”. The Winnower, 2014. Gary S. McDowell, Kristin A. Krukenberg, Jessica K. Polka
- The Future of Research Symposium: Facilitating Postdoctoral Involvement in the Future of
Science. The Journal of Postdoctoral Research, 2014. Gary S. McDowell, Kristin A. Krukenberg, Jessica K. Polka
- The Future of Research Symposium. F1000Posters, 2014. McDowell G. S., Krukenberg K., Polka J. and the Future of Research Symposium.
- Logistics of Organizing the FOR Symposium. The Winnower, 2014. Mazzilli S. A, Gunsalus K. T. W., McDowell G. S., Krukenberg K. A., Polka J. K.
- Effects of the Fair Labor Standards Act Implementation (or Lack Thereof) on the Postdoctoral Population ASCB COMPASS Blog.
- FLSA overtime rule: Federal judge issues injunction, Illinois suspends its FLSA increases ChemJobber Blog.
- Changing Labor Laws Bring Increased Postdoc Wages Addgene Blog.
- Future of Research — General Support Open Philanthropy Project.
- The postdoc conundrum: Finding a way forward FoR Boston 2015 Organizing Committee, Careers Under the Microscope, Crosstalk, Cell Press.
- Future of Research Boston 2015: Can data collection about the scientific enterprise help advocate for change? Gary McDowell, ASCB COMPASS.
- Advocating for changes to science at Future of Research Boston 2015 David Riglar, Nature ConferenceCast.
- How does the number of graduate student and postdoc positions affect YOUR career in science? Sarah Mazzilli, Careers Under the Microscope, Crosstalk, Cell Press.
- Thoughts on the Future of Research 2015 Boston Symposium Tyler Ford, Addgene.
- The Future of Research Symposium Boston 2015 David Riglar, Addgene.
- Future of research: Career awareness Melissa Greven, NatureJobs.
- Chicago Postdocs To Discuss Training, Science Policy at Future of Research Symposium Kyle Dolan and Rianne Ellenbroek, Nature ConferenceCast.
- Postdocs taking matters into their own hands. Joanne Kamens, LinkedIn.
- Advocating FOR grads and postdocs: the Future of Research symposium. Gary McDowell, The Node.
- The Future of Research. The Digital Biologist.
- How postdocs can participate. Jessica Polka, The Scientist.
- The front line of science – hearing the voice of our eventual leaders now. Interview with Michael Markie, F1000Research blog.
- How to make science more open – 7 ideas for early career researchers. Liz Allen mentions the Future of Research Symposium as a way postdocs can get involved.
- Postdocs are doing it for themselves. Liz Allen and Gary McDowell, ScienceOpen.
- The Future of Research Symposium. Gary McDowell, Nature Scitable ConferenceCast.
- The Organization and Execution of a Postdoc-Run Symposium Sarah Mazzilli, Nature Scitable ConferenceCast.
- Conferences to engage and build communities Jessica Polka, Nature Scitable ConferenceCast.
- Workforce Issues: What About the Postdocs Already Swimming in the Pool? What Becomes of Us? James Kraemer and Marcella Erb, American Society for Cell Biology.
- Polka J., 2014. A wake up call
- Vaught M., 2014. Trainees, claim your seat or get left behind
- McDowell G. S. and Polka J. K., 2015. A Call for the Voices of Early Career Researchers
- McDowell G. S., 2015. Put Your PhD/Postdoc Where Your Mouth Is
Storify posts by minoritypostdoc.org
November 24, 2016:
May 20, 2016:
April 30, 2016:
Other media of interest
Justin Q Taylor, Peter Kovacik, James Traer, Philip Zakahi, Christine Oslowski, Alik S. Widge, Christin A. Glorioso, 2016. Point of view: Avoiding a lost generation of scientists
Harris R., 2014. After The NIH Funding ‘Euphoria’ Comes The ‘Hangover’
Harris R., 2014. Top Scientists Suggest A Few Fixes For Medical Funding Crisis
Harris R., 2014. When Scientists Give Up.
Harris R., 2014. Too Few University Jobs For America’s Young Scientists.
Bourne H., 2014 and prior. Biomedwatch blogposts
Petsko G., 2013. The Post-doctoral Situation (seminar)
Yamamoto K., 2014. Time to rethink Graduate and Postdoc Education (seminar)
Kilpatrick S., Behrens C., Sorge A., Burtscher L., Scacioc A., 2015 Junior Max Planck researchers win reforms
Powell K., 2015. The future of the postdoc
Lieff Benderley B., 2015. Eroding benefits for UMD postdocs?
Collins M., 2015. On the ‘benefits’ of Postdocs
Callaway E., 2015. Young scientists go for fresh ideas
Bernstein R., 2015. Postdocs discuss proposals for change
Rimer S., 2015. Too Many Postdocs, Too Little Funding
Links to other resources
White papers on Sustainability
Gibbs Jr. K. D. Diversity in STEM: What It Is and Why It Matters. Scientific American 2014.
Gibbs Jr. K. D., McGready J., Bennett J.C., Griffin K. Biomedical Science Ph.D. Career Interest Patterns by Race/Ethnicity and Gender. PLoS One, 2014; 9(12): e114736.
Roca A.I. Issues that Impact the Success of Minority Postdocs. DiverseScholar, 2010; 0:0.
Roca A.I. Redirecting National Attention to the Needs of Underrepresented Postdocs. DiverseScholar, 2012; 3:4.
Roca A.I. Minority Postdocs are the Source for Future Faculty of Color. DiverseScholar, 2013; 4:2.
Boettiger S. and Bennett A. B. Bayh-Dole: If we knew then what we know now. Nature Biotechnology, 2006; 24 (3): 320-1.
National Research Council (US) Committee to Study the National Needs for Biomedical, Behavioral, and Clinical Research Personnel. Research Training in the Biomedical, Behavioral, and Clinical Research Sciences. National Academies Press (US), 2011.
Benderly B. L., 2010. The Real Science Gap. Pacific Standard
Cyranoski D., Gilbert N., Ledford H., Nayar A. and Yahia M. Education: The PhD factory. Nature 2011; 472: 276-279.
Gibbs Jr. K. D., Griffin K. A. What Do I Want to Be with My PhD? The Roles of Personal Values and Structural Dynamics in Shaping the Career Interests of Recent Biomedical Science PhD Graduates. CBE Life Sci Educ 2013; 12: 4711-723.
Polka J., 2014. Where will a biology PhD take you?
Sauermann H., Roach M. Science PhD Career Preferences: Levels, Changes, and Advisor Encouragement. PLoS One, 2012; 7 (5): e36307.
Stephan P. How to Exploit Postdocs. BioScience 63(4):245-246. 2013
Alberts B. Overbuilding Research Capacity. Science, 2010; 329: 1257.
Diaz-Martinez L. Are Unpaid Postdocs the Next Trend in Biomedical Research? ASCB post, 2014.
Martinson B. C. Universities and the money fix. Nature, 2007; 449: 141-2.
Russo E. Victims of Success. Nature, 2003; 422: 354-355.
Merits and incentives
Hines W. C., Su Y., Kuhn I., Polyak K. and Bissell M. J. Sorting Out the FACS: A Devil in the Details. Cell Reports, 2014; 6: 779-81.
Nosek B. A., Spies J. and Motyl M. Scientific Utopia: II – Restructuring Incentives and Practices to Promote Truth Over Publishability. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 2012.
Sovacool B. K. Exploring Scientific Misconduct: Isolated Individuals, Impure Institutions, or an Inevitable Idiom of Modern Science? Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, 2008; 5 (4): 271-82.
van Dijk D., Manor O. and Carey L. B. Publication metrics and success on the academic job market. Current Biology, 2014; 24 (11) R516–R517. PI Predictor:http://www.pipredictor.com/
Bourne H. R. and Lively M. O. Iceberg Alert for NIH. Science, 2012; 337 (6093): 390.
Martinson B. C. The academic birth rate. EMBO Reports, 2011; 12 (8): 758-62.
Alberts B., Kirschner M. W., Tilghman S. and Varmus H. Rescuing US biomedical research from its systemic flaws. PNAS, 2014; 111(16): 5773-5777.
Baker B. The End of the Academy? BioScience, 2014; 64 (8): 647-652.
Berg J., 2014. Gender differences in R00 institutions
Bloume-Kohout M. E. and Clack J. W. Are Graduate Students Rational? Evidence from the Market for Biomedical Scientists PLoS One, 2013;8(12): e82759. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0082759 (via University of Wisconsin-Madison)
Bourne H. R. A recipe for mediocrity and disaster, in five axioms. eLife, 2013a; 2: e01138.
Bourne H. R. The writing on the wall. eLife 2013b; 2:e00642.
Bourne H. Point of view: A fair deal for PhD students and postdocs. eLife, 2013c; 2: e01139.
Daniels R. J. A generation at risk: Young investigators and the future of the biomedical workforce. PNAS, 2015; 112 (2): 313-8.
Larson R. C. and Gomez Diaz M. Nonfixed Retirement Age for University Professors: Modeling Its Effects on New Faculty Hires. Serv Sci. 2012 March ; 4(1): 69–78. doi:10.1287/serv.1120.0006
Larson R. C., Ghaffarzadegan N. and Xue Y. Too Many PhD Graduates or Too Few Academic Job Openings: The Basic Reproductive Number R0 in Academia.Syst Res Behav Sci. 2014 ; 31(6): 745–750. doi:10.1002/sres.2210.
Teytelman, L. Is the world producing more PhDs than it needs? Quora, 2015.